ASBR ICEIPI 2022, 03 March 2023
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
China has a complicated relationship with Russia who used to be Soviet Union. Recently, Xi Jinping has aligned closely with Putin. As Russia’s friend, in the 2022 Russo-Ukrainian war, does China support Russia, standing the opposite of the world? China’s official attitude can be ambiguous, but what is the real attitude? What are mass people’s attitudes in China? Therefore, this paper studies from the Minister of Foreign Affairs and the mass people’s comments to figure out China’s real attitude behind the word games.
2022 Russo-Ukrainian war, Sino-Russo relationship
1. Johnson, Ian, and Kathy Huang. “Foreign Affairs.” Council on Foreign Relations, February 25, 2022. https://www.cfr.org/in-brief/china-russia-war-ukraine-taiwan-putin-xi.
2. Gao, Feng. “MOFCOM Regular Press Conference (January 27, 2022).” In Ministry of Commerce People's Republic of China. Beijing, n.d. http://english.mofcom.gov.cn/article/newsrelease/press/202202/20220203278924.shtml#:~:text=In%202021%2C%20China%2DRussia%20trade,partner%20for%2012%20consecutive%20years.
3. “Ambassador Zhang Jun: To Solve the Ukrainian Issue, We Must Return to the Implementation of the New Minsk Agreement.” Web log. Permanent Mission of the People's Republic of China to the UN (blog), February 17, 2022. http://chnun.chinamission.org.cn/chn/hyyfy/202202/t20220218_10643200.htm.
4. “Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin Hosted a Regular Press Conference on February 22, 2022,” February 22, 2022. Embassy of the People's Republic of China in the United States of America. http://www.china-embassy.org/lcbt/wjbfyrbt/202202/t20220222_10644486.htm.
5. “Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying Hosted a Regular Press Conference on February 23, 2022,” February 23, 2022. Embassy of the People's Republic of China in the United States of America. http://www.china-embassy.org/lcbt/wjbfyrbt/202202/t20220223_10644870.htm.
6. “Wang Yi Expounds China's Five-Point Position on the Current Ukraine Issue.” Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China, February 26, 2022. https://www.fmprc.gov.cn/wjbzhd/202202/t20220226_10645790.shtml.
7. “Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying Hosted a Regular Press Conference on February 24, 2022,” February 24, 2022. Embassy of the People's Republic of China in the United States of America. http://www.china-embassy.org/lcbt/wjbfyrbt/202202/t20220224_10645295.htm.
8. Li, Yuan. “Why the Chinese Internet Is Cheering Russia’s Invasion.” New York Times, February 28, 2022. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/27/business/china-russia-ukraine-invasion.html.
9. Why Does Russia Fight Ukraine. TikTok. Lu Qu Guan Cha, 2022. https://v.douyin.com/FJnPj7w/.
10. Qin, Peng, and Xiaoxu Lin. The Secret Behind the Little Pink Fancy Russia. Other. Da Ji Yuan, March 18, 2022. https://www.epochtimes.com/gb/22/3/7/n13628663.htm.
11. Rong, Xiaoqing. “Not All Chinese Support Putin, Why the World Only Hears One Voice.” New York Times, March 3, 2022. https://www.nytimes.com/zh-hans/2022/03/03/world/asia/china-putin-ukraine.html.
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available from the authors upon reasonable request.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Authors who publish this journal agree to the following terms:
1. Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
2. Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
3. Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See Open Access Instruction).