ASBR ICEIPI 2022, 02 February 2023
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
With the development of the multiculturalism, paying attention to the characteristics of foreign cultural dissemination and the coexistence strategy of Chinese and foreign cultures has a certain importance for the effective export of Chinese culture in the new media era.This study takes the seven most influential overseas student uploaders on the new media platform bilibili and the videos they created as the research objects, summarizes the content and characteristics of the videos through a combination of quantitative analysis and qualitative observation, analyzes the effect of foreign cultural communication on the bilibili platform, and takes this as an example to explore the development strategy of foreign cultural communication and multicultural coexistence on the new media platform from a macro perspective. The study found that based on three advantages of "innovative perspective brought by unique role positioning", "accurate grasp of audience's curiosity", and "integration of foreign culture and Chinese culture", overseas student uploaders have transcended the self-perceived role of general foreign culture communicators and regarded themselves as executors of the integration and coexistence of Chinese and Western cultures. At the same time, if a culture wants to use new media platforms to gain recognition and widespread communication in foreign countries, communicators should grasp current international popular news and cultural symbols, build emotional resonance in multicultural communication, and enhance practical innovation in communication contents and forms. Only when communicators actively eliminate prejudices and oppositions between cultures and build bridges for cross-cultural exchanges, can the coexistence and development of multi-culture become more comprehensive and vivid.
new media, overseas students., foreign culture, communication strategy, multicultural coexistence
1. Tang Xujun,Huang Chuxin,Wang Dan. (2019).Current status and trends of new media development in China - 2019 New Media Blue Book Main Report [J]. China Newspaper Industry, 13, 34-36.
2. Li Y,Chen X.T.,Mao T.T.,Huang G.(2021).Factors and framework analysis of the effect of new media cross-cultural communication--Take the YouTube video of "Li Ziqi" as an example [J/OL]. Library Forum:1-13. Retrieved from http://kns.cnki.net/kcms/detail/44.1306.G2.20211208.0903.010.html.
3. Kuang W.B.,Wang T.J.(2021). New media digital communication strategies under rural cultural revitalization[J]. China Editor,12, 21-26.
4. Cui Wei.(2021).Reconstruction of Chinese medicine cultural communication system in the new media environment[J]. Social Science Front,12, 25-32.
5. Xin Jing,Ye Qianqian.(2020).Analysis and reflection on the cross-cultural communication of Chinese culture on international social media platforms: the example of the YouTube video commentary of Li Ziqi[J]. News and Writing,3, 17-23.
6. QuestMobile Research Institute.QuestMobile Generation Z Insight Report [EB/OL].(2018). Retrieved from https://www.questmobile.com.cn/research/report-new/31.
7. Xu J. L.(2004).Campus culture construction in colleges and universities[J]. Seeking truth, 18, 28-30.
8. Hu Bang Sheng.(2017).The main features of international communication from an epistemological perspective[J]. Theoretical Perspectives, 10, 9-15.
9. Xie Qun.(2013).The Construction of Intersubjectivity in the Threshold of Language Philosophy[J]. North Series, 2, 129-132.
10. Tolstoy.(1956).Theory of Art [M]. Geng Jizhi, translation. Beijing: The Commercial Press, 148.
11. Zhou Xian.(2002). Cultural Studies [M]. Tianjin: Tianjin Academy of Social Sciences Press, 68-69.
12. Pan Yannan.(2020).Innovative Narrative of Chinese Stories from the Perspective of Others: An Example of the International Communication Award of the China Journalism Awards[J]. Editor's Friend, 8, 75-79.
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available from the authors upon reasonable request.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Authors who publish this journal agree to the following terms:
1. Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
2. Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
3. Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See Open Access Instruction).