ASBR ICEIPI 2022, 03 March 2023
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
The essay is about the overall analysis about team strategies made by Oklahoma City Thunder, a franchise in National Basketball League from 2008 to 2022. The analysis covers ups and downs of the franchise regarding its performance in the league and competitiveness. The basis of the analysis is through team transactions and the team philosophies that lead to these transactions or team trades. To analyze the team trades I decided to dig deep into players’ stats not only regular but also advanced stats to figure out the value of each tradeand the reasearch also incorporates draft picks accumulated from trades to evaluate the anticipate the team’s next move. Last but not the least the essay also covers team’s revenue throughout the years from the perspective of gate revenue and merchandising.
Future, Drafts, Trades, Philosophies, Propspects.
1. Sportingnews, Kyle Irving. (2021). Breaking down the Thunder future draft picks: A complete guide to Sam Presti’s draft assets. https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/thunder-future-draft-picks-sam-presti/16zsblvhgaoav1fdrt06p1hq3z.
2. Wikipedia. (2022). Seattle SuperSonics relocation to Oklahoma City. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_SuperSonics_relocation_to_Oklahoma_City.
3. sportsreference. (2008). Russell Westbrook College Stats. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/russell-westbrook-1.html0.
4. Justin Yett. (2008). 2008 NBA Draft: Russell Westbrook Out of the Shadows, into the Spotlight. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/26460-2008-nba-draft-russell-westbrook-out-of-the-shadows-into-the-spotlight.
5. K Shakran. (2008). Russell Westbrook: A Potential Draft Pick for the Golden State Warriors. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/25716-russell-westbrook-a-potential-draft-pick-for-the-golden-state-warriors.
6. Basketball reference. (2009). 2008-2009 Oklahoma City Thudner Transactions. https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/OKC/2009_transactions.html.
7. Ryan Chapman. (2021). Thunder Draft Rewind: Oklahoma City Completes Their Big 3 in 2009. Sam Presti stole the show again by selecting James Harden in the 2009 NBA Draft. https://www.si.com/nba/thunder/news/thunder-draft-rewind-oklahoma-city-completes-their-big-3-in-2009.
8. Hoopshype. (2010). 2009-2010 Oklahoma City Thunder Saleries. https://hoopshype.com/salaries/oklahoma_city_thunder/2009-2010/.
9. NBA. (2009). NBA SALARY CAP FOR 2009-10 SEASON SET AT $57.7 MILLION. https://www.nba.com/lakers/news/0910_nba_salarycap.html.
10. Adam Fromal. (2016). Did OKC Thunder Make the Right Choice on Trading James Harden After All? https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2611625-did-okc-make-the-right-choice-trading-harden.
11. Matt Bonesteel. (2015). Thunder shuts down Kevin Durant ‘indefinitely’ because of injury. Will he miss the playoffs? https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2015/03/20/thunder-shuts-down-kevin-durant-indefinitely-because-of-injury-will-he-miss-the-playoffs/.
12. Alec Nathan. (2016). Kevin Durant Announces Decision to Join Golden State Warriors. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2649248-kevin-durant-latest-news-rumors-speculation-surrounding-free-agent-star.
13. Cody Taylor. (2018). Thunder rank seventh in merchandise sales, Westbrook finishes sixth. https://okcthunderwire.usatoday.com/2018/04/17/thunder-rank-seventh-in-merchandise-sales-westbrook-finishes-sixth/.
14. Cody Taylor. (2019). Westbrook, George have two of the best-selling jerseys in the NBA. https://okcthunderwire.usatoday.com/2019/05/26/okc-thunder-nba-jersey-sales-top-15-2018-19-russell-westbrook-paul-george/.
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available from the authors upon reasonable request.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Authors who publish this journal agree to the following terms:
1. Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
2. Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
3. Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See Open Access Instruction).